A night I will never forget! F111 Crash on the Isle of Skye 7 December 1982.

I was very lucky to have a long chat with the incredible man that is Hamish MacInnes, one of Scotland’s most famous mountaineers and rescue experts. As a man he is unique and unashamedly one of my heroes. I asked him what his most memorable callout was? I was expecting some epic in his beloved Glencoe but it was tragedy in Skye on New Year 1963 many years ago when 3 climbers were killed on the Dubhs Ridge on the remote Coruisk side of the ridge. It was a two day epic in winter which is so well described in Hamish book “Call Out”.  I also wrote about it on my blog on 16 July 2012. He asked me what my mine was. Unbelievably it was about 1 mile from this incident, on the Isle of Skye and this is the story:

In was December the 7 th 1982 I was stationed at RAF Kinloss in the Morayshire Coast in Scotland. The Falklands war had just finished but RAF Kinloss where I worked was still working 12 hour shifts. I had done the early shift from 0600 -1800 in In Flight rationing the Nimrod planes; it had been a busy day. I went back to the Mountain Rescue Section where I was a part-time member and was sorting my equipment of for a weekend’s winter training with the Mountain Rescue team. As I finished the phone rang it was the Rescue Centre at RAF Pitreavie saying that an American F111 Fighter aircraft  from RAF Lakenheath with two crew had crashed in the Isle of Skye it was on the main ridge and another aircraft in the two man formation was flying over the area.

Skye in Scotland is a mountaineer’s and climber’s paradise, in winter it becomes Alpine with ascents of the easiest peaks not for the inexperienced.   The time was just before 2000 hours it was a wild winter night, pitch dark and with snow at sea level. I was told to get a fast party together in 15 minutes and get to the aircraft pan as a Sea King helicopter was on its way to take us to Skye. There were 6 of us me Allan Tait. Joe Mitchell, Keith Powell (RIP) Chris Langley, Paul Whittaker and my dog Teallach were the fast party. There was little time to get kit sorted and I took as much climbing gear and rope as we could carry. The Skye ridge in a December night was not the place to be but this was payback time for us this is what we trained for. The forecast as I said was awful and there was a good chance of the aircraft not getting us to the crash position due to the weather.  It would be a long hard night ahead. The position we were given at first was right on the main ridge between Sgurr Greta and Sgurr a’ Mhadaidh a nightmare scenario in winter and at night.

Map of the area in Skye.

Map of the area in Skye.

This was 1982 before modern phones and communications and the kit we had was still basic, our bivouacs kit was still a big orange polythene bag, which was next to useless in wet weather. We carried hill radios that were efficient, line of sight but heavy and suffered in the cold and wet. The helicopter was at Kinloss a few minutes away flying with 15 minutes and in the darkened aircraft. I was told to go to the front for a brief and stayed there most of the trip out to Skye. The snow was falling very heavily and the crew would have to use all their cunning and experience to get to the incident. This was also in the days before night vision equipment and the modern GPS, It is hard to believe we flew low near the roads to get updates on our navigation. I do not enjoy flying at the best of times and this was a worrying trip. My 5 team companions were in the back oblivious to what was happening. When a military aircraft goes in all the efforts are made by all concerned and the rest of the team would follow by road a journey as bad for them in roads plastered with snow and ice and taking up to 6 hours! We would be on our own for at least 12 hours. My head was on fire with plans but we had to get there first and I was helping picking out snowy land marks on the way. At Achnasheen about half way there after about 35 minutes we had to land down as the weather was awful. We were soon off again and all the time getting updated on the situation and a new fix for the crash site. It was now near Loch Coruisk a remote part of the ridge with no road access. There was another aircraft an F111 over the site that was now covered by snow and cloud. The local Skye team were trying to get to Egol and help us with their local knowledge; this would be invaluable in these hills. As we neared Egol (This is a village on the shores of Loch Scavaig towards the end of the Strathaird peninsula in the Isle of Skye.) I moved to help the winchman by going on the harness near the aircraft door. The weather was still wild and snow was blowing everywhere as we were dropping down to pick up the Skye Mountain Rescue party. The winch man saw Hydro wires nearby and we had to rise steeply to miss them, we were very lucky. The aircraft pulled away and I was told we had one chance of a drop off as the aircraft had a problem now due to the power used. We flew out to sea and I had a quick look at the map, winching was not possible so picked a spot I knew well Camasunary Mountain Bothy near a hill called Sgurr na Stri. This was where the aircraft last known position was it the place to start our search. We could not wait to get out of the helicopter and my party inside had a good idea how near we had been to a disaster.

F111 Aircraft

F111 Aircraft

A few months previously we had been to another F111 that crashed in Strathcarron we had been involved and the crew were okay they had ejected in the capsule that was unique to this aircraft and both were taken to hospital in nearby Inverness. We were sure that the crew of two would be waiting for our arrival somewhere on the mountain.    We were on our own as the helicopter flew off, leaving us alone in the dark, with the smell of fire and aviation fuel about.    Out of the bothy door came three figures ——- to be continued.

camusunary bothy Skye - we were so glad to see this bothy after an epic flight in!

Camusunary bothy Skye – we were so glad to see this bothy after an epic flight in  the helicopter!

About heavywhalley.MBE

After dinner speaker Lecturer and Mountain Rescue Specialist. Environmentalist. Spent 36 years with RAF Mountain Rescue and 4 years with a civilian Team . Still an active Mountaineer and loves the wild places.
This entry was posted in Aircraft incidents, Book, Bothies, Equipment, Friends, History, Mountain rescue, SAR. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to A night I will never forget! F111 Crash on the Isle of Skye 7 December 1982.

  1. When is your book of MR tales and adventures going to be published?


  2. Ian McConnell says:

    good start Heavy, looking forward to the next installment


  3. alan swadel says:

    Get that book finished. Then you can buy me and Dan tea and cakes at the bothy!


  4. ptsd17 says:

    I was up there for a weeks getaway last year with my son. Fantastic place to just get away from it all and let your mind relax. I stayed just outside Elgol. The views and scenery are beautiful what ever the weather. Really hope the conditions are good for you and you have a good time!


  5. MannyG says:

    Hey Heavy, I’ll race you to get a book out first…
    Great story so far. Funny – I’m re-reading “When so ever” by Frank Card at the moment.


  6. Brenda Hagan says:

    I would love to read the book if it is published. My name is Brenda Hagan and I am the sister of Susan Rudiger, Burnley rudiger’s wife. my brother-in-law Burnley or as we called him Bob, was a wonderful Christian man and such a good person. He is very loved and missed by our entire family. May God bless you for all that you have done to honor him and for all your rescue efforts. It is so much appreciated

    Liked by 1 person

  7. Tim Ryan says:

    My name is Tim Ryan. I was crewed in the F-111 with Bob Rudiger at Mountain Home, Idaho and in Sacramento, California. My wife Judy and I were close to Susan and Bob for a number of years. We lost contact with Susan after Bob’s death. I hope she and the children are doing well.

    Liked by 1 person

  8. Stann McLeod says:

    Just want to thank you and your crew for your efforts during the recovery mission of the USAF F-111 aircraft that crashed in December 1982 on the Isle of Skye. I’m good friends with the wife of Lt Col Rudiger who was killed in the crash. We are both members of First Baptist Chirch here in Thomasville, Ga. I visited the Isle of Skye last week and was not able to get close to the actual impact Point but we did visit the Glen Brittle area. May God bless you as you continue to serve.
    Lt Col Stann McLeod, USAF Retired


    • Dear Sir

      Thank you for your kind words, you will see that I was at the crash site in May this year and their are lots of photos on my blog of my visit. Your words are a great help to me and despite the years I will continue visiting this place as long as I have the strength.

      God bless you and yours and send my love and prayers to all.

      Thank you again your words mean alot even after all these years and that night will stay with me and the team involved forever.

      David “Heavy” Whalley


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s