Winter mountain safety lecture tour
Mountaineering Scotland has teamed up with Cotswold Outdoor, Tiso, The Mountain Cafe, Aviemore, Scottish Walks magazine and The Munro Society to offer you a fascinating insight into Scotland’s mountains in winter and some essential safety advice for heading into the hills at this time of year.
In these free lectures, sponsored by the Herald & Times Group, publishers of Scottish Walks magazine, Heather Morning, our Mountain Safety Advisor will share her beautiful photography, videos, personal anecdotes and adventures, while equipping you with some essential skills for winter navigation, avalanche awareness, route choice, equipment, mountain weather and much more.
With a lifetime’s experience in the mountains, Heather has been a professional mountaineer for 25 years and for 16 years was a member of the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team.
Places are free but limited so to avoid disappointment, please book your seat by popping in the relevant store or calling them on the numbers given below.
- Thursday 5th January, 7pm – Glasgow
Cotswold Outdoor Store, 30 West End Retail Park, 60 Crow Road, Partick Glasgow G11 7RY
Book now on 0141 357 5353
- Wednesday 8th February, 7pm for meal, 8pm for lecture – Aviemore
Mountain Cafe, Aviemore. Meal is available, £13, booking essential. 01479812473
- Wednesday 15th February, 7pm for meal, 8pm for lecture – Aviemore
Mountain Cafe, Aviemore. Meal is available, £13, booking essential.01479812473
- This lecture, the only one not to be delivered by Heather Morning, will be given by mountain rescue legend David ‘Heavy’ Whalley. His adventures can be followed on his blog*** Mountain Safety ***
The Mountain Rescue Scotland are also assisting in the spreading the safety message
- This is step 1 of 5 on staying safe while going out into the outdoors.
- Developing these skills below is so important when planning your activity.
- Knowing how to map read, use your equipment properly and to be able to do first aid plays a massive part on how your day can end!
- #ScottishMR #mountainsafety #StaySafe
Please share and if you can come to one of the lectures.