The Shackleton Crash Isle of Harris.

I wondered if I should write this blog today but felt I had to. It’s a hard time for everyone especially for family and friends of the crew. Also it’s week 4 of the virus and huge changes in the lives of everyone.

Today the 30 th April I should be in the Isle of Harris at a Ceremony in memory of the Shackleton aircraft from RAF Lossiemouth that crashed on 30/4/1990. I was invited by the locals community who have organised the Service.

This was well planned before the outbreak hit. I had been corresponding with locals on the Island and the local news letter have produced a tribute to the crew . They contacted me for my part in the tragic day. I was the leader of the RAF Kinloss MRT at the token and the incredible response of the local Community.

Sadly I will not manage to come over and was hoping to meet and thank so many who helped us on that tragic day 30 years ago.

The Shackelton Crash Harris AEW MK2 WR965. 30 April 1990 Grid reference NF 996914

 The RAF Mountain Rescue was formed during the Second World War to rescue aircrew from crashed aircraft in the mountains of the UK. To this day the 3 RAF Teams that still survive are still called to carry out some difficult recoveries of aircraft both Service and civilian in the mountains.

This is the sad story of this incident and the part played by the RAF Kinloss Mountain Rescue Team. 30 April 1990 Isle of Harris

It was a beautiful day at RAF Kinloss which is situated on the North East coast of Scotland. Unusually a lot of the Mountain Rescue Team had gathered in the crew room. It was just before lunch time when I was told on the phone by the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre (ARCC) that there was a Shackleton aircraft missing from RAF Lossiemouth. It had been on a Training sortie from Lossiemouth and was last seen near Benbeculla, near the Isle of Harris on the West Coast of Scotland. I was told a helicopter from Lossiemouth a Sea King would be at Kinloss in 10 minutes and would take 10 of my team to the area. This is called a “fast party” a quick fast response to any incident. It’s not long to sort out your life I was the Mountain Rescue Team Leader on this incident.

In these circumstances 10 minutes is not long to prepare and the teams have a long established protocols to ensure we have the correct equipment to carry out any rescue. We managed to get to the aircraft pan ready for the Seaking Helicopter which landed rotors running and we were off!

In an aircraft crash information is coming in all the time, from the ARCC. As The Team Leader I was getting constant updates from the aircrew and passing the information on to the team members in the back of the noisy helicopter not easy.

In any incident the helicopter flies flat out on a Rescue especially, when it is an aircraft from their station at Lossiemouth, nothing was spared. I was up with the pilots and getting all the updates on my earpiece. There are so many things going on in your head as the Team Leader and you are very busy. The flight to Harris was about 60 minutes and as we neared the last known position we were picking up the aircraft beacons in the helicopter which meant the aircraft in trouble and had crashed. Due to the remoteness of the area I spoke to my control the ARCC and asked for the rest of the RAF Kinloss team to be sent immediately to assist.

As we neared the crash site the noise from the beacons was intense and we feared the worst. The crash had occurred near the village of Northton on a small hill called Maodal about 800 Feet above the sea. The only cloud in the whole of Scotland was over the crash site and the helicopter dropped us as near as they could to the incident. It was like the scene from a battlefield, a tangled mess of a once proud aircraft and the casualties, all fatal scattered around, memories that still haunt me to this day.

At times like these even in the middle of such carnage the Mountain Rescue Team has a job to do and we are all as professional, most of us had seen these sights before. A few shocked locals had managed to get to the crash and were relieved to see us and leave the horror of such a place. There was very little chance of any survivors.

Our first task is to ensure that all the casualties are accounted for and then to secure the crash site. All the fatalities have to be left in place as there will be a Police and Crash Investigation Team on scene as soon as possible. Our next task is to secure the site which was still on fire and ensure there were no classified materials about.

It was grim work but most of my team on the helicopter were veterans of such scenes, I had been heavily involved with the Lockerbie Disaster, we did what we had to do.

Once things were organised at the scene I walked back down to the road about half a mile from the scene. It was surreal already the locals had put a small caravan in a lay-by and the ladies had a welcome cup of tea for us. They were wonderful people with typical Highland hospitality and care, which my team would need later on. They were incredible to my team and helped in the difficult days that we had ahead. They produced food and treated us so well this became our Control point for the next few day’s.

The cloud had cleared and we saws this was one of the most sad but beautiful places in Scotland. The local Police were on scene along with the Coastguards and the site was secured awaiting the Board of Enquiry, no casualties could be moved until the Police and the Procurator Fiscal arrived. My team guarded the scene and took photos and mapped the site out, standard procedures for an aircraft incident. The aircraft was guarded through the night and all night the local people were so helpful to us all.

The majority of the team who were still at Kinloss were flown to Stornoway by a Jetstream aircraft and by Hercules aircraft complete with our Mountain Rescue vehicles, they were all on scene by 1600, an amazing piece of organisation. Many thanks to the ARCC who organised this.

In the end I had 27 Team members, the 4 Tonner vehicles’ arrived by Ferry the same day!

Once the site had been visited later on by the Board of Enquiry the team received permission to remove all the casualties from the scene, a hard and difficult task. These are words that do not express what horror there is in such a place, yet all the team worked hard. Moving the 10 fatalities with respect was a hard job to do and move them away from the scene.

These were in the early days of PTSD and few in power will ever realise the effect a tragedy like this has on those who carried out this task.

After 3 days on scene we handed over the crash site to RAF Lossiemouth crash guard who were there for several weeks working with the investigation board.

Most of the team and vehicles’ flew back that day from Harris in a Hercules aircraft ahead of all the casualties who were in another aircraft.

We flew into Lossiemouth and drove through the camp for the short journey to Kinloss. The whole camp at Lossiemouth lined up as we drove through a very moving experience, waiting for their fallen comrades. It was an experience I will never forget and then we had to go home to our families. Few spoke of what they had seen and done. It was our job.

A few years later I revisited the crash site in Harris. The drive down was in driving rain but as we got nearer to Tarbet the weather cleared to bright sunshine and the hills had a smattering of snow. As we got nearer to the site the sun, blue seas, surf and clear sandy beaches made this a sad but beautiful place to be. Though the hill is only small by mountaineering standards, it’s fairly steep as it starts from sea-level. Memories came flashing back of the accident and even the superb beauty of this special place made it a difficult wee walk.

Nature has as usual sorted things out and the scars on the hill are covered by heather and peat, occasional bits of wire and small pieces of metal are all that remain of a fairly large aircraft.

The memorial on the top commemorates the crew of the Shackelton “Dylan” and details of the aircraft with the words”We Will Never Forget” inscribed on a memorial on the summit. It faces West the inscription is getting the worse of the weather and may need replaced within the next few years. The memorial inscription is on a plaque and the weather had battered it. It needs some tender loving care. I would replace it with one like we put on the Lancaster on Beinn Eighe. It’s made of slate but will withstand the weather.

I have been back fairly often it is another part of my life that few understand. The views from the hill are very healing with the wildness of the area that makes this place so special and a place we should never forget.

This is what I wrote on my last visit. “On the summit the views were immense, unsurpassed with unique Island scenery of wild open beaches, mountains and the sea and the fresh snow enhancing everything.  After spending some time on the top, with the wind it was fairly cold, we left that beautiful, though sad place, with a wee prayer for the crew and wondering how many people know of this place?”

I will never forget what happened that day and how tragic the crash site was even to hardened mountain rescue men. The RAF Mountain Rescue Team carries out a complex job at times but I am proud of what my team did over these few days. I will never forget the wonderful help we received from the Police, Coastguards local Doctor and these magnificent people from North Harris who treated us so well over a terribly difficult 3 days.

Thanks to all, from all of us.


It should be noted that the RAF Kinloss Mountain Rescue Team has been at least two other Shackelton Crashes in their role in RAF Mountain Rescue. The first was on the 21 December 1967 when a Shackelton crashed at Locailort near Fortwilliam killing all 13 of the crew. The team were involved in the recovery all over the Festive period until the 8 January. I met the son of the navigator of this aircraft who came to visit RAF Kinloss in 2007, 40 years after his father died, a very moving day for me. I took him and his wife around the Rescue Centre the ARCC where I was on shift. From here we went to the Mountain Rescue Section at Kinloss and tried to answer all his questions, which he wanted answers for many years. In addition the team were also involved in the Shackelton Crash at the south end of the Mull of Kintyre killing all 11 of the crew on the 19 April 1968, the RAF Kinloss team were there till the 23 April. All these terrible incidents make a huge impression on the RAF Mountain Rescue Teams and the team members and are never forgotten by those who were involved.

The RAF Kinloss Mountain Rescue Team is bo longer there. It was moved to RAF Lossiemouth a few years ago. The team is still big part of the community and the men and women who make it up are still incredible people.

“Lest We Forget”    

David Heavy Whalley MBE BEM

In memory of Shackleton crew Dylan who perished in the crash.

Wing Commander Stephen Roncoroni

Wing Commander Chas Wrighton

Flying Officer Colin Burns

Squadron Leader Jerry Lane

Flight Lieutenant Al Campbell

Flight Lieutenant Keith Forbes

 Master Air Electronics Operator Roger Scutt

 Flight Sergeant Rick Ricketts

Sergeant Graham Miller

Corporal Stuart Bolton

This is from Harris today “Thought you might like to see this. Mark Morrison from Leverburgh went to the bottom of the Modal this morning to play the pipes to pay his respects to those who died 30 years ago today on the Shackleton crash.

The War Memorial flag was lowered to half mast this morning also.”

Kind regards

Effie MacLeod

What a wonderful tribute thank you all.


“ I remember being up on night guard with Graham Clethero (Jimmy) and Ian Meradith . There was a display of the Northern lights, quite a surreal night. A few of us had been flown over to Stornoway on the Air officer commanding’s jet stream 31 aircraft after he diverted to Kinloss to get troops out to the scene. A sad sad time.”

John Chapman “Definitely etched on my memory, sad and hard day.”

About heavywhalley.MBE

Mountain Rescue Specialist. Environmentalist. Spent 37 years with RAF Mountain Rescue and 3 years with a civilian Team . Still an active Mountaineer when body slows, loves the wild places.
This entry was posted in Aircraft incidents, Health, Islands, Mountaineering, Well being. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Shackleton Crash Isle of Harris.

  1. John Griffithd says:

    A very sad day Heavy. I was was there at an early stage during the day – some of my Rescue Teams were first on scene.

    Joh Griffiths
    Now retired DC HM Coastguard

    Liked by 1 person

  2. John Griffiths says:

    Apologies -Wrong email on previous entry.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Chris McQuigg says:

    Such a moving story. Thank you for sharing.

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Fiona Wallace says:

    This was incredibly difficult to read, but thank you for everything you and your team did that day. My children and I were supposed to be there today as well. I hope we will make the trip next year now.
    Kindest regards
    Fiona Wallace (Roger Scutt’s daughter)

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Julia Shearwood says:

    Fiona, Our thoughts are with you. Love Chris and Julia McQuigg x

    Liked by 1 person

  6. Alan Mills says:

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Heavy.
    Alan Mills

    Liked by 1 person

  7. John Sullivan says:

    Thank you for posting this Heavy – very moving. JS

    Liked by 1 person

  8. Dave Earl says:

    Another good article. Thanks for remembering this each year and for your help with details for the book.


  9. David McAra says:

    Many thanks for this wonderful account David. I was a navigator on 8 Sqn at the time and remember how appreciative we were of the work that was done by all of the emergency teams. The crew of Gambia 08 were friends and it’s good to hear that they were looked after so respectfully by you and your team before they came home. Thank you again.

    Liked by 2 people

  10. Donald says:

    Thank you.
    I have both undercarriage wheels and some items from this aircraft rescued from scrap!.
    I aim to display them locally ,with details of crew members and history of WR965.
    Any photos of crew and any More details much appreciated.
    I’m willing for anyone to get in touch who has had relatives or friends on the Shackelton,I have made it my mission to have an informative ,dignified display and remembrance locally at ground level.

    Liked by 1 person

  11. David Howe says:

    Rick Ricketts my brother-in-law was on that flight he was called in to replace somebody else on the day so really you should have been there rip Kieran

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.